Thursday, August 16, 2007

How I got into this racket

It all started in early 2006 when I was chatting with my friend Lesa about her impending wedding to Jildaz. We were talking about what music would be played during their big event when somehow the idea came up of me being the DJ. On my Mac!

At that point I had zero experience as a digital DJ, but an eagerness to learn how to do it and a passion for music. So I investigated what software to use, and eventually chose DJ-1800. I taught myself the software and talked to Lesa & Jildaz's sound engineer friend Jeremy about how to connect the Mac to a sound system. At the same time, I built up playlists for listening and dancing.

The wedding night arrived, and the debut of DJ Wongski was a success. At times my segues between songs were rough, but no one seemed to notice - the dancefloor saw a lot of action. Lesa still credits me for inspiring her usually non-dancing dad to get on the dancefloor and boogie to "Jambalaya" by Hank Williams. Thank you Lesa and Jildaz for placing your faith in me and giving DJ Wongski his start.


DJ-1800: My digital "wheels of steel"

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

You've always been a DJ, you just didn't know it yet.